Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Renting Hell - U.S.

     It was not the first apartment debacle of my life, but has certainly been the worst (and that includes previously being stalked by and having to get a harassment injunction against a man who moved across the hall from me; having landlords suddenly raise rents, or yell at me, or sell the property so I'd have to move, or having to fight landlords in court for unjustly keeping my security deposit),
     Then I moved for the first time in my life into an apartment complex that advertised paying only one-third of your income. I'm a quiet tenant and have always done a large portion of work at home. 
      In the post-2008-2009 economy, I can't afford to move, and places I could afford, I'm allergic to -- severe allergies that make me very ill.
      What I find is that HUD cannot or will not help and instead favors the landlords and other tenants, giving them credit over my references and credentials.  I am backed into a corner: not supposed to walk in certain rooms of my apartment, to run the garbage disposal, or to park in my designated spot.  This is the tip of the iceberg: my landlords, and there are several, have no compunction about yelling at me.
      I wonder: Have you encountered discrimination in tax-write-off or public housing?  

No comments: